Friday, January 15, 2016

First Impression Friday: Perfect by Ellen Hopkins

Good morning Starlight-Readers. For today's First Impression Friday, I'm going to be looking at a book that I just got a few days ago, Perfect. It's one of Ellen Hopkins's novels, told in verse, and it's also the companion novel to her other book, Impulse, which I read a new years ago and LOVED. (It was actually my first Ellen Hopkins novel!) This post is also a perfect follow up to Monday's post, where I shared some other novels told in verse.


Cover:


I'd first just like to take a look at the covers of the two novels, Impulse and Perfect. As you can see in these pictures, we have a jagged, blotchy, and bright red cover for Impulse, which fits the theme of the novel, while Perfect is... different. While it has a delicate, pastel base color and pretty cursive letters, the ink seems to smear, suggesting that something is amiss. I'm sure that that'll be a point. If there's anything I've learned from the covers of my many Ellen Hopkins novels, it's that the covers give you a glimpse into what you'll find inside the novel.


Inside: 


Now, just flipping through, I see that we have brand new characters, who weren't in Impulse, which sets this up as a companion novel. I'm not sure yet, but I think the only common thread is that Cara, one of Perfect's protagonists, is the twin sister of Conner, a character from Impulse. I'm excited to see her fleshed out as a character, as we only got to see her through Connor's thoughts. I'd love to see her stand on her own now, along with the other character's we'll meet.
In typical Ellen Hopkins style, we've got a novel told in verse in a variety of interesting layouts. I must admit that I don't think that the formats as interesting as in some of her other novels, such as Crank and Identical, but maybe I've overlooked something. Looking back, I see that Impulse didn't really have them either, so I suppose that's why. In that case, it follows up as a... perfect companion novel for Impulse (no pun intended!)

Synopsis:


This synopsis has me so excited to finally read this book. I'm especially interested in reading Kendra and Andre's parts, as they interest me the most. I wonder if the different narratives will eventually overlap, as they did in Impulse and Fallout. I'll find out soon enough!

Final Impression:


All-in-all, I'm super excited to read this novel, and if this pre-review interested you, feel free to buy your own copy or check it out from your library. As usual, I'm expecting great things from this novel, and I'm sure that it'll live up to those expectations. It might even be... Perfect.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment