Sunday, June 26, 2016

The Other Side Of Gravity by Shelly Crane - A Review

Synopsis: My name is Maxton and I’m a trader.

I live on a soulless planet where gravity, oxygen, and everything else are sold to the highest bidder on the black market. People are sold on the black market, too. You have to work really hard not to become one of those people. Pay your taxes, keep your friends and family close, and more than anything else—don’t get caught by the Militia. But all the rules changed for me the day I found her.

My name is Sophelia and I’m a stowaway.

I’ve been a slave for almost as long as I can remember. Waiting for the one day, one second, for my proprietor to turn his head so I could run and never look back. Now I'm on the run. And on a planet where no one is on your side and people would turn you in for a good meal or a piece of a silver, being on the run on Landu is the last place you want to be. Until he found me.

I won't survive without him.

I can't breathe without her.
 




Rating: 5/5

Thoughts: *I received a free ebook copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley.

Oh. My. Gosh. It's been a while since I've read a book that I've really enjoyed. I've been so busy with schoolwork and finishing up my high school career that until recently, I've had to put this blog on hold. I'm pleased to be back with new book reviews, as well as new content.

The Other Side of Gravity is a book that I made time to read during my studies. I would sneak a few pages during dinner, before going to bed, or between long study sessions. With some books, this would have never worked, but this fast paced and action-packed novel kept me on the edge of  my seat whenever I got a chance to read. 

The plot of the novel is quite interesting, and the narrative features both Sophelia's and Maxton's alternating point of views, which allowed for different insight on the same events. In some novels, this can be a bit annoying, as the same events are described by both characters, but in this novel, the point of views pick off where the other left off for the most part, with repeated sections only for the sake of clarity or to show drastically different ideas. 

There were plenty of quotable moments, and I made sure to capture many of them with the highlight feature of my kindle for future reference. Here are a few of my favorites:

  • "Because your soul, on this soulless planet, sticks out like one star in a starless sky. And it’s beautiful."
  • "He said that people don’t make mistakes, they just make a learning curve for everybody else."
  • "You are worth more than what is in your pockets. You’re worth what’s in your mind and what’s in your heart."
These quotes encompass just a small fraction of the lovely lines and dialogue that inhabit this novel. The author's way with words certainly shines, especially in the dialogue between Maxton and Sophelia.

Speaking of the characters, they were actually quite believable. Maxton is the perfect blend of respectful, realistic, and daring. He's a black market dealer who knows what he wants and needs for his family, but also knows that other people's lives are important as well. He's compassionate, and just the person that Sophelia needs. 
Speaking of Sophelia, she's simultaneously broken and strong, with a quick wit, a protective shell, but also a sense of duty and justice. Both characters are definitely characters who could be looked up to as role models for teenagers. 

I'm excited to see where this new series will go, and I can't wait to read the second book. Shelly Crane obviously knows her craft, and creates intricate and intriguing worlds and characters that come to life in the reader's mind. Fans of Marie Lu's Legend and Veronica Roth's Insurgent will love this book.




No comments:

Post a Comment